Friday, October 2, 2009

September 21st 2009

OK, 2 weeks ago was labor day so the library was closed, last week, i was there i got on and read elizabeth's email, but the computers were super slow and when i tried to write you one it kicked me off. Last sunday was transfers and I'm now in Brooklyn with Elder Lam... I never expected to be with him. I like him just fine - but, he doesn't speak mandarin. His dad was in the police force in Hong Kong but when England lost control of Hong Kong they offered him a job in Coventry, so, elder Lam speaks Cantonese. When President Nelson talked to me he kinda said the point of me being with elder Lam is too improve my mandarin and learn a little cantonese. I feel a little bit like I've been thrown out of the frying pan and into the fire :) But it's kind of an exciting prospect.Most people that speak cantonese can also speak/understand mandarin, so I thought I'll be ok there. But, I didn't take into consideration, that while teaching people I'm not able to understand anything my companion or the investigators say... because it's in cantonese. I can understand some words in cantonese... but that's kind of like how i can understand some words in spanish. For instance, we were talking about prophets nd the only words I could understand in the conversation were Prophet, Adam, Moses, and power/strength... So I'll need to get some cantonese in fast.Also, we're pretty much starting a new pool - which means we spend all our time finding - street contacting, tracting, etc.But it'll be exciting. Elder Lam and I are both pretty passive people so we're learning how to get over that. Well, we better be. Oh, I did try to send you a letter this week, I wrote it on monday, but then I moved to brooklyn. I was gonna unpack the letter and send it off, but I couldn't unpack for the 1st 2 days here because elder law and elder chen, who were supposed to move into a new pad, couldn't move yet because the pad hadn't been inspected by the senoir missionaries yet. I could have probably sent it on friday, but I figured you wouldn't get it until about today, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Let's not worry about the belts and shirts, it's not a big deal, it's getting cool and i'm wearing sweaters now, and will start wearing suits in october. Well, besides finding people there's not too much going on. You said you wanted to know about the people here? in brooklyn? Depends what street you're on. everybody's got they're own ethnic clusters here and even the chinese people will ask where you ancestors are from. the white people here don't speak english. The spanish are the really strong mormons here who run wards somewhat normally... umm... yeah. Time's almost up, I gotta go. Love ya, bye!-Elder Eddy

No comments:

Post a Comment