Friday, October 2, 2009

June 1st 2009 Email Home- Chinese Name

Nimen hao!
Well, I gave myself a Chinese given name this week. There's certain rules to this sort of thing. You last name is gonna be one Character/one syllable, a as surnames, have no meaning. Some do, but not as a last name, Di doesn't mean anything. Given names are 2 chracter/2 syllable (I'm pretty sure I spell syllable wrong), and the meaning is usually the reasoning behind the name, not so much what it sounds like. But I wanted to go about this in the right way; so I wanted to have a name that was phonetically similar, and had a similar meaning, to keep in mind what my parents named me. Benjamin is the english form of the Hewbrew name Binyamin, which means, Son of the Right. It probably took me 45 minutes to find a name that worked, so here we go: Bangyou (Tones: 4th-4th, Pronunced: Bawngyo). It means Draw near to/Be close to Right. Is that ok? I'm not sure if our teachers were planning on giving us names, but I'm gonna check with them and make sure my name isn't crazy or something. I'll send another email later.- Di Bangyou Zhanglao

No comments:

Post a Comment